The Fascinating Connection Between Stomach and Brain
Allison interviews Holly Higgins, a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and Whole30 certified coach about the important connection between nutrition and mental health. They discuss gut health, blood sugar and food sensitivities in a way that is fun and accessible. Enjoy!
What We Cover
- What is the relationship between nutrition and mental health?
- How did Holly get started learning about mental health?
- Why you shouldn’t focus solely on weight loss when you do a Whole30
- How Allison’s mental health was affected when she first did a Whole30
- Why psychiatric medicine and weight loss are often contradictory goals
- The importance of balanced blood sugar
- How blood sugar affects mood and mental health
- How Whole30 affects blood sugar
- How diet affects children who have been adopted
- How diet affects people with ADD and ADHD
- How digestive health / gut health affects mental health & the gut-brain connection
- How the culture reflects the truth of the gut-brain connection
- Holly’s recommendations for good gut health
- Food sensitivities and mental health–gluten, dairy, sugar, caffeine, alcohol
- How nutrition can affect depression
- How to tell if you have a food sensitivity
- The relationship between skin health and gut health
- How to look have a positive outlook on nutritional changes
- Holly’s Website: https://www.hollyfisherhiggins.com/
- A Mind of Your Own book: https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Your-Own-Depression-Reclaim/dp/0062405586/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1535348079&sr=8-
Connect with Ali